There are some instances where the POS loses connection to the credit card processor but does not automatically go offline to allow offline credit card processing. In the event that this happens, there is a process that allows the cashier to force the terminal into offline mode.
Please note: Transactions accepted while offline may not be approved by the processor for payment once a connection is restored. Each site should carefully set the maximum amount accepted for each offline transaction.
Below are the steps to start processing offline for customers who are Swipe or EMV.
Follow these steps for Swipe Payments ONLY:
- Touch the top bar
- Touch More
- The Manual Offline Credit button should show Disengaged.
- Touch the button to change Manual Offline Credit to engaged
- You should get the below message
Keep in mind that online credit card processing will not be reactivated automatically. Reactivate card processing once the network connection is restored.
Follow these steps if your using EMV Payments:
- The payment device should automatically revert to offline mode. If the payment device does not automatically revert to store and forward - Unplug the Ethernet cable or disconnect the POS from the wifi (Keep in mind that this will affect the communication between POS and any network printers).
- You should see this notification on the top of the screen after 1 minute
Once offline, the system will automatically store the transactions. When the connection is restored, the POS will forward the transactions over to the processor.