Before creating a menu or adding an item to the menu there are a few things to consider.
- Will the stores inherit or use the same menu that will be created at the enterprise(corporate) level or will they each use their own menu?
- What Groups do the items need to be a part of?
- Kitchen Print Groups
- Service Charge Groups
- Do the items have any modifiers, like portions (small, medium, etc.), prep instructions (temperature) or ingredients (flavor, cheese, onions etc.)?
- Do any of the ingredients have any modifiers (e.g. Espresso shot is an ingredient but multiple shots can be added. 1 shot, 2 shot, etc.)
Once answered, creating a menu and adding an item can be completed in a few steps. The below figure explains the relationship between the menu, categories, items, Ingredients and modifiers
Figure 1: Menu, Item, Modifier Relationship
|This section assumes that price tiers and Meal Periods have already been created (At least one price tier is needed for pricing of modifiers, ingredients, and prep instructions; and at least one meal period is needed regardless of whether scheduling is utilized or not). If these have not been configured, please refer to Enterprise Intelligence Guide Chapter 6: Section 5: Price Tiers and Chapter 6: Section 5: Meal Periods.|
- Section 1: Adding a Menu
- Section 2: Adding a Category to a Menu
- Section 3: Creating an Item to Add to the Menu
- Section 4: Adding an Item to the Menu
- Section 5: Adding Modifiers to an Item
Add the first menu within Qu Enterprise Intelligence (EI) in only two steps. Once the menu is added, categories and items can be added to the menu.
- Navigate to enterprise configuration (if some or all of your stores will be using the same menu) or the store configuration (if the menu is store specific)
- Click on Menus
- Click on the plus sign
- Assign a title to the menu and a description if necessary.
- Click Save.
|Once the first menu is created, it can be cloned; assuming that the menu will be similar but not the same at multiple stores (Refer to Enterprise Intelligence Guide Chapter 11: Section 1: Clone Menu for instructions on cloning a menu). If the menus are very different, the steps above can be used to create additional ones.|
For each store location, associate a menu to a price tier and meal period.
- Navigate to the store configuration and select Price Tier
- Click the plus sign
- Select a Meal Period, Price Tier, Menu and Location from the respective dropdowns
- Select Confirm and click Save
The menu is now created.
When creating a menu, most items are categorized into specific groups for layout on the POS terminal. (usually with some defining factor. The most basic categorization is food and drinks. Most menus tend to be more descriptive (For example: Cold sandwiches, Hot Sandwiches, Sides, Hot Drinks and Cold Drinks).
Create a menu category:
- Navigate to Menus at either the store or enterprise Level and select the menu that you are editing
- Click on Add Category
- Assign a Name, Description, and Sort Order (If there are multiple categories then what order should this one appear in the Qu App?)
- Click Save Category
Once all of your categories have been added, you can now create the items and add them to the menu.
Navigate to the Enterprise Intelligence (EI or POS Admin) Tool and log in (Ensure that configuration is completed at the enterprise or top level of the environment).
- Click on the Navigate button, go to the Menu section, and click on Items
- In the upper Right hand corner click on the plus sign.
Figure 2: Creating an Item
- Give the Item a name in the title text box.
- Scroll down and associate the item to the appropriate groups.The most common ones are Tax Group, Reporting Group, and Discounting Group and would have been created previously. If not instructions to create these can be found at Enterprise Intelligence Guide Chapter 2: Creating and Adding Discounts, Chapter 5: Reporting, and Chapter 6: Section 2: Taxes).
- Go back to the top of the page and click save.
|Items can also be added to the menu at the store level in the menu section. These items can then be used by other stores. However, if other stores use this item, it is necessary to add any related groups (tax, reporting, discounts, etc.) to the item for that specific store.|
The next step is to add the item to the menu and assign a price to it.
- If each store menu is the same and inherited, the item will be added at the enterprise level otherwise it will be added at the store Once decided, navigate to the correct level and proceed to step 2.
- Click on the Navigate button, go to the Menu section, select menus and click on the menu to which the changes needs to be made.
Figure 3: List of Menus
- Choose the category to which the item will be added.
- Click on add Existing Item.
- In the search bar type in the name of the item.
- If no portions will be assigned, assign a base price as the price of the item.
- Click Accept to add the item.
Figure 4: Adding an Item to a menu
Portions allow the addition of item sizes and prices. For example, large fries at $2.00 and small fries for $1.00.
- Click on "Add Portion", create the title for the specific portion and set the Price.
- Alternatively, an existing portion can be added by clicking on "Choose from Existing Portions”, search for the desired portion, click ok and then assign the price.
- Click Accept
|If the name of the portion on a specific item needs to be changed, for instance changing from small to single, but not on the entire menu (assuming small has been used from existing items), then delete the existing portion and create a new one. Portions are currently linked and will be changed for every item where the portion has been used.|
Prep Instructions or Modifiers
Prep instructions, or modifiers, describe an item. For example, temperature of beef – well-done, medium, rare, etc.
- Click on Add Prep Instruction Group
- Give the group of title, maximum selected quantity and sort order (title is the only required field).
- Now add the Prep instruction by clicking "Add Prep Instruction", Add the title and the associated price (if needed).
- Similar to Portions, existing Prep Instruction Groups can be added to a new item.
- Click Accept to add the modifier.
Ingredients can be added or removed from a particular item. Ingredient groups, e.g. Cheese Ingredient Group, that are collections of ingredients such as Cheddar Jack, Swiss. Ingredients may be modified for example 1 slice, 2 slices, 3 slices. The modifiers section is optional but is very valuable when utilized.
To configure an ingredient group:
- Click on Add Ingredient Group
- Give the group a title, minimum selected quantity, maximum selected quantity and sort order (title is the only required field).
- Add the ingredients by clicking "Add Ingredient", and add the title and the associated price (if needed).
- To add ingredient modifiers such as Extra cheese, 4 sugars, light mayo, etc:
- After the ingredientis added click "Add Modifier."
- Add a title, and price (if needed) for the modifier
- Select Done Editing
- Click Accept
|Similar to Portions and Prep Instructions; existing ingredient group, ingredients, and modifiers can be associated with an item.|
Figure 5: Menu/Item Configuration